Team Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Alliance

Team Alliance's Forum!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Overextending

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Saber Man
Admin
The Saber Man

Overextending Empty
PostSubject: Overextending   Overextending I_icon_minitimeThu 29 Nov 2012, 1:20 am

What is Overextending, and how does it affect me at all?

Overextending is a quite common issue in Yugioh. It's something that many players do without even knowing it, and is a topic that I believe if discussed, really shouldn't happen at all.

Now you may be asking: What is overextending? Well, overextending is just generally when you do unnecessary plays that are more dangerous than making a simple play with the same effect on your opponent. In other words, it's doing more than you need to to accomplish a play.

To me, there are only 3 main times where you can overextend and take a risk doing so:

1) When your opponent is stripped of their hand and field, and you just want to have some fun (however, beware of card effects like Necro Gardna), OR
2) When you're trying to bait out backrow to make a big push, OR
3) When you're playing in Time, and you need to make an unorthodox play to bridge the LP gap.

Examples of Overextending:

Understanding what overextending is is best taught by looking at silly overextending mistakes that other people make. I'll provide you with 3:

1) X-Sabers vs. Dragon Deck

Overextending Deletelater

So I'm about to die. I have a set Pashuul and a Pashuul in my hand (note: I had 100 LP left). He has a Grand Mole and a REDMD on the field. He can win simply by just bouncing my Pashuul with Grand Mole's effect and attacking directly with REDMD. Instead, he tunes up for Stardust, and Pashuul can't be destroyed by battle due to its effect.. He attacks, I reveal Pashuul, and he ends.

On my turn, I draw a Faultroll (which is pretty lucky, no offense). I summon the Pashuul and SS my Faultroll. I use Faultroll's effect to bring back my Emmersblade, and then I tune up for Librarian and Thought Ruler. I draw one, and I get a Dimensional Prison. I attack Stardust with Thought Ruler, and through its effect I gain 2500 LP. I set D Prison and end my turn.

Next turn, he summons Tour Guide, (which I Judgment). He then gets back Stardust with REDMD and attacks. Stardust attacks Librarian (I let that go), and then REDMD attacks Stardust. I use the D Prison. He ends.

My turn again, and I draw Boggart. I summon Boggart, and I attack with Thought Ruler, then Boggart. I end.

His turn, and he just bluffs me with an Assault Mode Activate.

My turn, and I win.

In short, this guy overextended by going into Stardust with his Grand Mole (which if he did not do, would have won him the game).

2) X-Sabers vs. Chaos Dragons with Dragon's Mirror

I have an Darksoul Set and a Set Solemn Judgment, to his REDMD and Lightpulsar Dragon.

He draws for his turn into Dragon's Mirror and proceeds to use it, not understanding the things that I could have in my backrow. He banishes his REDMD, Lightpulsar, and 3 other Dragons in his Graveyard for Five-Headed Dragon, which I Solemn Judgment. He passes back.

I draw into a Pashuul, proceed to summon Naturia Beast, and win shortly afterwards.

In short, this guy overextended by getting rid of his field control by using Dragon's Mirror, which let me win the game right afterwards.

3) Wind-Ups vs. Chaos Dragons

Yes, I overextended this time, not my opponent. I was playing Unrated with my friend though, so it doesn't really matter.

I open up broken (Magician/Shark), and my opponent drops Maxx "C" on the Shark. I push through it, and proceed with the Shock Lock (Papilloperative/Zenmaity/Shock Master). He drops Veiler (which he said he drew from the Maxx "C" just after I used Rat's effect to get back the Magician that Pappy sent to the grave as Xyz Material), and I end up with a field that is entirely vulnerable to his strong Dragon-swarming-type play. I pass to him after setting a backrow (which I think was a bluff, I can't remember).

He opens up broken as well, and I proceed to lose the game shortly after.

In short, I overextended by playing through a Maxx "C". That is why many top players treat Maxx "C" like a Veiler in many circumstances, because if you play through it and your opponent manages to stop you somehow, you're screwed the next turn from their +x (x being the number of cards they drew) and their large arsenal of resources in their hand. Also, card advantage is huge in many big tournaments (i.e. in YCSs), so preventing your opponent from gaining card advantage means one step closer to victory.

Closing Remarks

If you ever want to be the best Yugioh player or just plainly top an event, you need to know how to not overextend, and when you are most tempted to. Always ask yourself: "Is making a big push a good risk to take in this scenario?" If it isn't, chances are you are overextending if you do.

I hope this article made you a better Yugioh player and shed some light on some common mistakes you may be making.

Until next time!

-The Saber Man
Back to top Go down
https://teamalliance.canadian-forum.com

Overextending
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team Alliance :: Strategy Station :: Articles-
Jump to: